The Kontra Sakit, Kontra Liit Campaign with Ceelin Plus kicked off last year.
This campaign aims to curb growth stunting among Filipino children. The Food and Nutrition Research Institute (DOST-FNRI) conducted a study on the nutritional status of Filipino children in 2011. The results they got are the following:
- 3 in every 10 children ages 0-5 years old are stunted for their age
- among children who are 6-11 months, 16.2 percentage have stunted growth
- stunted growth reaches as high as 33.6% when these children turn a year old
The Philippines has the second highest incidence of stunting in Southeast Asia, with Indonesia at the top spot, according to a United Nations Development Programme study. The high prevalence of growth stunting in the Philippines, placed at 30-39% for chidren under age five has already been a concern with the UN Development Report, back in 2008.
There are two factors main factors to be considered in the incidence of growth stunting among Filipino children:
- recurrence of illnesses and infections
Underprivileged children in developing countries such as the Philippines have a high prevalence in the incidence of growth stunting than their counterpart at a higher socioeconomic level.
These height deficits in children are related to poverty and other environmental influences (dirty environment, unsafe water, dirty air, too many people in a small space) than to genetic influences in body size, even if there are differences in ethnicity across socioeconomic strata.
It is in this regard that Unilab’s Ceelin Plus launched Kontra Sakit, Kontra Liit campaign. The campaign aims to increase awareness about growth stunting and highlight the importance of strong immunity against illnesses and infections that further contribute to the condition of growth stunting.
Why Ceelin Plus? Ceelin Plus has
- vitamin C that forms part of the body’s natural immune system and stimulates the activities of the antibodies and immune cells.
- ZINC is needed for the normal delveopmental and maintenance of the immune system.
The preventive supplementation of 10mg/day of zinc increases the immunity against repeated illnesses which has a significant effect on the growth of children less than five years old.