The children were excited to celebrate Earth Hour. My eldest daughter decided to just go to sleep before Earth Hour even began.

Before the hour was up, we were slowly putting off things that are using electricity: pc, television, lights in the kitchen, charging electronic devices and others.

Before the hour was up, all the lights were turned off, except that one at the side of the house. Fans were turned on though for it was a hot and humid night and we don’t want to risk an asthma attack. We stayed in the living room and spent the Earth Hour there. The two younger children were on a mat on the floor playing with my mobile phone while I was on the sofa. There was only one burning candle, the one on the dining room, which stayed burning after we had our candle light dinner.

We had fun playing shadows on the wall, lighted by a candle. We listened to the songs being played on the mobile phone. We had fun making faces using the flashlight. Not only had Earth Hour aimed to accomplish something for global warming, it also fostered family bonding to families who observed the special time.

Did you observe Earth Hour? Blogger’s Earth Hour Link Love Chain:

Norway: RennyBA’s Terella – The host of this list.

Philippines: Heart of Rachel: Vote Earth! and Fun Heart Hour 2009.

Singapore: EastCoastLife put up the banner and a separate post!

Norway: CultureSchock – Vote Earth!

France: A. at A Changing Life – Earth Hour 2009.

USA: Scarty at My Daily Life Experience – Earth Hour 2009 in Chicago.

Sweden: Lifecruiser – Earth Hour Stockholm City 2009.

Malaysia: Life Ramblings – Earth Hour 2009. P

hilippines: FiliPina Jade – Do you think our planet is worth saving?

Philippines: MArites at Me, the islands and the world – Yes For Earth Hour.

Links from Filipino bloggers:

Noemi: Earth Hour 2009 at Adarna Food & Culture, Authentic Filipino Cuisine

Faith: Earth Hour Philippines 2009: Photo Set at Cubao X

Rachel: Fun Earth Hour 2009 J

ulie: Earth Hour in our Home

Mauie: We Voted for Earth

Azrael: Earth Hour Philippines (some coverage)

Salen: WS: Earth Hour Candle

This entry was posted on Sunday, March 29th, 2009 at 9:36 am and is filed under Environment, In the News, Information, Interesting tidbits, Lessons in Life, My Family, Parenting, special education. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

29 Mar, 2009 @ 10:58 am

[…] Julie: Earth Hour in our Home […]

29 Mar, 2009 @ 11:28 am

[…] Here is my post of our 2009 Earth Hour experience […]

[…] Julie: Earth Hour in our Home If you enjoyed this post, then make sure you  Subscribe to my RSS FEED.. It’s FREE! Related Posts:Yet another Pinoy Food BlogUrbanizing Barako: Exploring the Flavors of a Modern Filipino Coffee ExperienceLasang Pinoy: FusionPinoy Dining Guide to Restaurants in San Francisco Greater Bay AreaSerye Café Filipino: Authentic Filipino Café nuffnang_bid = “c9a3fa9e3935a17b779078540932ee7d”; You can get your FREE updates through EMAIL. Enter your email address below: Enter your email address:Delivered by FeedBurner […]

29 Mar, 2009 @ 12:47 pm

You’re right Julie. Last night was a momentous global event and it was also a great opportunity for the whole family to spend quality time together.

We had fun at our lanai. We enjoyed chocolate fondue and the boys had fun making animal shadows. I think the sugar rush had a big effect on us because we ended up sleeping very late.

29 Mar, 2009 @ 6:58 pm
RennyBA said:

What a great contribution and a wonderful Earth Hour evening 🙂

If you update your post wit a link to my Blogger’s Earth Hour Link Love Chain post, I’ll ad your post.

30 Mar, 2009 @ 1:57 am
maiylah said:

yup, we did! 🙂

30 Mar, 2009 @ 9:55 am
sassy mom said:

My kids also had lots of fun. I also turned off everything. My kids and I even stayed outside for about 30 minutes because we can feel the breeze outside. It was a nice bonding moment indeed. Hope we can continue everyday.

30 Mar, 2009 @ 3:36 pm
Marites said:

we did earth hour too and I am quite happy to see that my nieces were able to learn something from it.

30 Mar, 2009 @ 4:22 pm
Gmirage said:

I was only an observer looking outside our window 😀

30 Mar, 2009 @ 5:23 pm
SandyCarlson said:

We did much the same! It is a wonderful way to pause and think about the earth and how little we really need. Things can get better!

30 Mar, 2009 @ 5:35 pm
bang said:

sayang I wasn’t able to participate on the Earth Hour because we’re not home. Pero, parang nakatipid na din kasi walang ilaw sa bahay 🙂

30 Mar, 2009 @ 6:57 pm
jennyL said:

glad you joined Earth Hour we did too..oh i love playing with shadows esp. when we were kids

31 Mar, 2009 @ 12:43 am
FickleMinded said:

unfortunately ,we did not, but i think i can set up our own date to turn off our lights for an hour and we might camp outside 🙂 nice entry!
I have two entries for WS for the first time, it’s here and here Thanks!

31 Mar, 2009 @ 12:06 pm
Arlene said:

I did not, T Julie kasi i was working as the next day graduation sa school namin. But i can see many did join that 1 hr Earth hour.

I Played too. 🙂

2 Apr, 2009 @ 8:58 pm
lady cess said:

we are proud participants of the earth hour too. the kids had fun

5 Apr, 2009 @ 9:33 am

I hope this will be a regular thing, not just a once a year event : Or perhaps we can do this in or homes no?

5 Apr, 2009 @ 9:34 am

Thanks for the visit, RennyBa, I have included your list in my post 🙂

5 Apr, 2009 @ 9:36 am

That is good Maiylah 🙂

I wish this will happen more often or perhaps we can do these at home 🙂

5 Apr, 2009 @ 9:37 am

We should do this more often Salen, no? 🙂

5 Apr, 2009 @ 9:39 am

Oh yes, and we should do these things more often 🙂

5 Apr, 2009 @ 9:40 am

Maybe you can do this in your own time G 🙂

5 Apr, 2009 @ 9:43 am

Yes, Sandy, and I think we can do this on our terms, no? I plan to do so 🙂

5 Apr, 2009 @ 9:46 am

Bang, you can do this on your own terms, in your own time 🙂

5 Apr, 2009 @ 9:52 am

Yes, shadow play was one of the highlights 🙂

5 Apr, 2009 @ 9:54 am

That’s true, we can have Earth Hour on our own terms 🙂

5 Apr, 2009 @ 9:55 am

Arlene, we can do this again on our own terms 🙂

5 Apr, 2009 @ 9:56 am

yes, and we can do this again, on our own terms, di ba?

[…] Blogging empowering people: This all my dear friends in Blogsphere, presents an opportunity for every person in the world to have a say in that agreement’s outcome and ensure it isn’t merely an insubstantial token effort by our world’s leaders! Let’s use our power to spread the word and urge each other and all our readers to turn off the lights an hour from 8:30PM the 28th of March. You may also click the banner to cast your vote here: For those of you who make a post about this, I ask you please to let me know in comments and I’ll update this post with a link to yours. Let’s make a Link Love Chain to show the world Bloggers Care for The Earth too! Blogger’s Earth Hour Link Love Chain: Norway: RennyBA’s Terella – The host of this list. Philippines: Heart of Rachel: Vote Earth! and Fun Heart Hour 2009. Singapore: EastCoastLife put up the banner and a separate post! Norway: CultureSchock – Vote Earth! France: A. at A Changing Life – Earth Hour 2009. USA: Scarty at My Daily Life Experience – Earth Hour 2009 in Chicago. Sweden: Lifecruiser – Earth Hour Stockholm City 2009. Malaysia: Life Ramblings – Earth Hour 2009. Philippines: FiliPina Jade – Do you think our planet is worth saving? Philippines: MArites at Me, the islands and the world – Yes For Earth Hour. Globetrotter: JH at Photojournalist – Please Continue the Movement of Earth Hour Filipina: Teacher Julie – Earth Hour in our Home […]

9 Apr, 2009 @ 2:11 am
RennyBA said:

Hi Julie! Sorry I’m late but I haven’t forgotten you 🙂

Thanks for your contribution and sharing this important evening with us!

My Earth Hour Link Love post is updated with yours of course.