Money is always an issue when it comes to getting specialized intervention services or therapy services for special needs students here in the Philippines.

Here are the reasons why:

  • For children diagnosed as having special needs, the government does not provide for, as far as I know, individualized instruction, after-school tutorial services and client-specific special education services in the schools.
  • There are ( a lot) public schools that offer special education services but these are not as intensive as should be. Why? Simply because there is no budget that would allow the services to happen. Things like teacher trainings and materials require some costs.

Here is an example of how it happens with those in the rural areas. You will probably feel a pinch when you read this.

Yes, there are instances when it is the teacher who does these things and more, usually from her heart and good intentions but without compensation.

  • Other therapy services like speech and language, occupational and even physical therapy services are not readily available for free in the government-run hospitals. Patients have to pay for a minimal fee but they have to be placed in a waiting list or are being given intervention in groups. There may be some hospitals that provide these services utilizing the students earning their degrees, but again, these are not enough to accommodate those who are in need of these services. Some of these hospitals are the Philippine Children’s Medical Center and the Philippine General Hospital, these are just what I know of. The Veterans’ Memorial Medical Center offers speech therapy too but the fee is not as low as the two hospitals. If I missed a hospital, please feel free to let me know.
  • To even realize that it is only the University of the Philippines in Manila that offers the course of Speech and Language Pathology shows how much these professionals are in demand. I wouldn’t even want to think how many of them are still here since a lot has gone abroad already.
  • Getting into a special education program is NOT ENOUGH to help children diagnosed as having developmental problems.


A special education teacher is trained to teach children with special needs in a classroom setting. Although she can provide evaluation services to know the skills of her students, she can not, should not, in any way, say what she thinks the problem is with a child, especially a child who has not been “officially” given a diagnosis.

That is the role of the developmental pediatrician or a child psychologist or a child psychiatrist. No matter how much the parents pressure her in telling her what she thinks is the matter, she can elaborate the problems but not say that the child has autism or ADHD.

In a special education class, not all the needs of the children with special needs can be addressed.

These needs that need to be addressed by other professionals in the field are: work and behavior management which should be addressed by an occupational therapist; and the speech-language processing which should be addressed by a speech-language therapist.

The special education teacher should work in collaboration with these professionals along with the parents/caregivers and the doctor(s) so that she can incorporate their goals with her goals for the child.

And now I will go back to the issue of money.

Truth is, here in the Philippines, starting from the diagnosis down to the getting of specialized intervention, money rules parents should prepare financial means to be able to get the best services for their children. Grim but true.

  • A visit to the developmental pediatrician has to be paid. Depending on the child’s condition, this can happen every three, six, eight months or every year.
  • A visit to the child psychologist for an intensive testing happens every year, if this was recommended by the developmental pediatrician. This is twice or thrice the amount to be paid compared to the developmental pediatrician. If it is up to me, I would recommend this visit with ALL the children having special needs but then again, the fee is really high.
  • An evaluation by a speech-language therapist has to be paid, and so this happens too with an occupational therapist. And an evaluation too, from a special education teacher who is not the child’s classroom teacher.
  • Payment for private schools that cater special children range anywhere from PhP50,000 – PhP120,000 PhP200,000 ($1,136 – 2700 $4500 with exchange rate of PhP44 to $1).
  • What about field trips?
  • Special diets?
  • Extra learning materials for home use?
  • Gasoline and parking fee for the therapy session?
  • Snacks to bring for the therapy session?
  • Side trip to a restaurant or to the mall after the therapy session?
  • Caregiver compensation AND payment for caregiver seminars.

There could be more to this list but I will leave this list as such and hope those who will read this post will not be discouraged.

If you are still here, then permit me to tell you what a parent of a student told another parent: “Do not think about the expenses you have to shell out, for in the end, you cannot turn back the clock if your child did not progress and he will have a hard time complying to the program made especially for him. No amount of money can ever replace the development that our children can achieve.”


  1. I am closing the comments for this post.
  2. If you have any inquiries about school directories for enrolling as a future special education teacher, I want to tell say right now that I do NOT have a list of such schools/universities.
  3. For parents or concerned persons wanting to know about special ed schools near where YOU live, I also want to say that I do NOT have a list of these schools.
  4. Please read my Dear Readers of my Special Education Posts which can be found in the upper right hand portion of my sidebar, under pages.
  5. If you have any inquiries, email these through webmaster(at)teacherjulie(dot)com

Thank you.

This entry was posted on Thursday, August 14th, 2008 at 5:25 pm and is filed under Being a (Special Ed) Teacher, Challenge Yourself, My Thoughts, special education. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Responses are currently closed, but you can trackback from your own site.

30 Sep, 2008 @ 11:34 pm
Ice Pascua said:

Hi Teacher Julie,

I graduated with a degree of Bachelor in secondary education. I did not practice it because it was not really my choice. Now I want to try to be a teacher but not as a high school teacher but a Special Education teacher. Do you conduct trainings on weekends so I can try to apply since I am a very busy person. If not, may I know if there are any school conducting SPED training. Thanks.


1 Oct, 2008 @ 9:39 am
julie said:

Victor, I emailed you my response. Please acknowledge if you got my email.

1 Oct, 2008 @ 9:57 am
julie said:

Thanks for replying to my email/response to your inquiry, Aiza.

1 Oct, 2008 @ 8:35 pm
aiza said:


am going to take 18units of education in pnu… actually plan q plang xa pwo sure na aq.. maybe dis sem.. lapit nah!! wwaaahhh… am student again!! required pla na may 18units of educ bago mag sped so mag aral nlang aq ulit.. am excited pwo d q alam pumunta pnu.. tanong nlang cguro aq but i called pnu already so may info na din aq bawt sped.. kunti nga lang… tenks!! ur blog is a big help!!

3 Oct, 2008 @ 3:56 pm
abbie said:

Hello poh.. Im abbie a third year student at ue. actually meron na rin poh SPED course sa U.E and were the first batch. Our school aside from up are the first ones to offer it last 3 years together with the other universities. my course is actually Elementary Education major in sped our programs are very educational becAuse base on my experience the things that my professor teaches me were all true because you see i’m also working as a part time teacher assistant at Laro, Lapis at libro it’s a sped school also. A lot of universities are offering SPED courses because of it’s demand

4 Oct, 2008 @ 7:21 am
julie said:


Its good to know that UE has this course too and that those they are teaching are practical and useful to you. What branch of UE have this?

PNU has this course for a long time and so does UP (as undergrad and grad courses) and a several years ago, it has been offered as a graduate course
in DLSU.

I refer those who are inquiring about taking the course to the three schools I have mentioned above because these offer graduate degree courses, which those who are inquiring need, since most of them have already have heir own degrees. Does UE offer graduate course majoring in special Ed?

The school where you work as part-time that you mentioned, I think a few of those who go to the intervention center I work also got there, I just don’t know who these children are.

Thank you.

4 Oct, 2008 @ 7:24 am
julie said:

Congratulations, Aiza. Thank you too for trusting my advise not to enroll in certificate courses and going the traditional but surer way, even if it is a long process.

I wish you well.

23 Oct, 2008 @ 11:47 am
lhet said:

hi, teacher julie.

I just say that this site really help me make a good decision, I’m about to take na sana the certificate in SPED and not from a good school, but when i “accidentally” view this site, I was able to realize na mas maganda na mag take ako sa mga university and take a Masters degree in SPED, mas maganda ang program ng subjects.


28 Oct, 2008 @ 8:54 pm
armel said:

I am planning to put up SPED school here in LB. having read this article, I am more convinced to open it to less fortunate children with disabilities.

29 Oct, 2008 @ 9:54 am
minette said:

hi teacher!!!!
im minet fr bxu…id like to know how many units r needed in prof ed if i’ll proceed sped?tnx a lot

4 Nov, 2008 @ 7:29 pm
michael said:

hi teacher!
nice blog! i totally agree with the points you raised regarding Special Ed schools in our country. by next year i will be back in the Philippines after joining teacher exchange program here in US. i would love to collaborate with you on your cause. as soon as i be back home i intend to teach in a teacher training institution.

please tell me how i could be of help in advocating for the cause of Special Ed in our country.

11 Nov, 2008 @ 9:23 am
lina said:

dear teacher julie,

just wanna say thank you from the bottom of my heart for the concern and dedication in teaching our children with special needs. just lately i looked for some private schools that has special education class but really i can’t afford to enroll my child specially in my situation as a sole provider in the family. aside from sending him to special school he has to take his medication for epilepsy that’s why i am begging you to please give my child another year in the sped unit.
thank you very much for everything.
God bless for your endeavor.

mom lina

11 Nov, 2008 @ 5:28 pm
Gina said:

Hi mam julie,

I need a speech therapist for my 5-yr old daughter in Makati area preferably available on Saturdays or ;SUndays or can offer home lessons. Thanks

12 Nov, 2008 @ 1:42 am
dadimarlon said:

hi teacher julie,
my first time here in your site. My daughter and I will be moving from UPLB to UPDIL next schoolyear. my daughter has cerebral palsy and I was wondering if you know some schools near UPdil or Ateneo that fits her needs. thank you very much nd God bless you!

12 Nov, 2008 @ 11:38 am
carol said:

hi tchr Julie,

do you have a list of SPED schools (for high school)here in Mandaluyong?

23 Nov, 2008 @ 2:05 am
Karla said:

Hi Teacher Julie! 🙂 Currently, I am a senior nursing student but I would like to take up SPED after I graduate. I feel that my heart is in teaching and I really enjoy my duties at NCMH and RSCC more than my hospital duties.

Can you please recommend me some schools where I can take up this course? I have provided my email in the form. I would like to weigh my options as early as now. If it is possible that I can take up this course in a shorter time, than it would be better as long as I receive quality education.

Thank you in advance. God bless! 🙂

23 Nov, 2008 @ 2:57 pm
Karla said:

Thanks Teacher Julie for the advice. 🙂

3 Dec, 2008 @ 5:33 pm
Stephanie said:

Hello teacher Julie! I am also one of those who are interested in taling up SPED course. Hopefully next year :). I already inquire PNU but one of their requirements for masteral since i already have bachelors degree is to have a one year teaching experience. Im planning to have certificate in teaching and then after that to get the masteral degree. Do you know school aside from UP that offers MA degree but cheaper cost. Thank you so much 🙂

14 Dec, 2008 @ 8:50 pm
Joanna Suquila said:

Hi teacher Julie!

I believe being a SPED teacher is a mission. I am very interested to take SPED and fulfill the mission that God has plan for me. Please send me a list/directory of SPED schools here in the Phils. especially Metro Manila area. Thank you very much and God bless!

15 Dec, 2008 @ 4:25 pm
Jepthe Subagan said:

Hi Teacher Julie,

I just passed the LET last Sep 2008 and i was trying to get some information on graduate studies in SPED. I took up my Certificate in Professional Teaching in PLM and they also are offering MA in SPED you may Inquire on this number 527 5739 – this is PLMs graduate school. for those who want to take the admission test sabi nila sa February daw and start for the SUMMER Class of 2009.

Hope this Help!

16 Dec, 2008 @ 4:23 am
Jepthe Subagan said:

Hello again,

I just finished work and thank you so much teacher Julie for the email. I heard about what you have said on the expedite course in SPED. The lady that I talked to yesterday afternoon confirmed to me that they stopped offering the fast track course already.


16 Dec, 2008 @ 11:49 pm
Amor said:

Hi To All,

I finished my MA in SPED last month (thesis) and to tell you honestly it’s really difficult to find a school that offers a job as a sped teachers. Please inform me if there’s anything you can help about my concern. I want to be a part of their life, and I want to give them hope that everything is possible as long as we believe to their own strength. We just need to be patient and be supportive to the kids who needs us most.

love and care,

3 Jan, 2009 @ 7:33 pm
Gie said:

Hi. I’m a sophomore college student and I wanna shift to SPED. I was wondering if you have a list of the schools who offers the said course? 🙂

It shall be highly appreciated 🙂
Thank you very much

4 Jan, 2009 @ 1:40 pm
_angelie_ said:

,hey…i wud just want to thank you for the concern given to these special a matter of fact,i am sophomore student of special education.. i do agree that there is a great deal of concern reagrding the provisiovns and the programs and services offered by the government to the special students. there is a huge lack of coordination among government agencies and the sped schools..

5 Jan, 2009 @ 2:51 pm
julie said:

Thank you 🙂

5 Jan, 2009 @ 2:54 pm
julie said:

I wish you the best in your endeavor, Amor 🙂

5 Jan, 2009 @ 3:00 pm
julie said:

I emailed you, please acknowledge if you got it.

5 Jan, 2009 @ 3:05 pm
julie said:

Stephanie I think UP and PNU would be the cheaper (though UP i think is also expensive nowadays) compared to other private universities. The fact that these have been teaching the courses for a long time make these even more reliable compared to others.

5 Jan, 2009 @ 3:10 pm
julie said:

Thanks for the input Angelie.